VEGAS UNWRAPPED with Aaron Phillips & Ricky Cash

SOCIAL MEDIA EXPLOSION

Friday, January 15, 2010

Is There a Doctor in the House?



The saga continues. Once again the question arises when it comes to the Mets medical staff and the organization leadership, does the left hand know what the right hand is doing?

Obviously not. With so many players injured during the course of the 2009 season and the way the players were or were not treated medically correct sparked a very real concern among Mets fans everywhere. Of course it really goes back to the 2008 season with the handling of Ryan Church and his concussions.

I had hoped to put the disaster of 2009 behind me and start writing positive articles about the team I love. I have been quiet during this off season primarily because there is not anything more that has to be said regarding the UGLY 2009 season.

I have ripped Manager Jerry Manuel and his boss Genereal Manager Omar Miniya to the core last season. However, I have no choice since they have both been retained to start the 2010 campaign, I have to pick up where I left off. Omar has been overall very good in the offseason. It is his "non moves", especially at the trade deadline, that has frustrated me during his reign.

I am especially happy with the acquasition of Jason Bey and despite what others may say, I believe Benji Molina would be a move in the right direction. I would also be quite satisfied adding either Ben Sheets, Joel Piniero or Gil Meche to the Mets pitching staff but all that for another article.

Now back to Carlos Beltran. Yesterday, the Mets brass came unglued when they found out that Beltran had surgery on his knee Wednesday morning. They said he didn't inform the team as they wanted Carlos to get a third opinion. This comes from John Ricco the Assistant General Manager who held the news conference to pounce all over Carlos.

Omar Miniya was not there as he, along with Jeff Wilpon, were attending an owner's conference somewhere deep inside the Earth's core because communication between these two spokesman didn't take place.

Scott Boras, Beltran's agent defended Carlos by saying the Mets knew about the surgery. According to Boras, the Mets had sent the proper Workmen's Compensation papers to the doctor in Colorado. Now, everybody hates Boras, so nobody believed him thus Carlos Beltran was now the enemy.

Well low and behold today Carlos in a written statement read to the press by Boras, said he did inform the Mets regarding the surgery on Tuesday evening speaking directly to Miniya who in turn wished Carlos good luck and a speedy recovery. It seems Omar failed to let the organization know and now there is so much egg on the face of the Mets organization they will be serving omlettes to the Opening Day crowd.

This organization's history of poor management and decisions is nothing new. The latest faupax, is nothing short of showing the incompetence of this franchise starting right at the top.

Will I stop being a fan? Do I hope the Mets will lose 100 games this year? No, on both counts. I have stuck with them since opening day in 1962 and I will be loyal to them forever.

This doesn't make me happy and if it takes another poor showing in 2010 in order to clean house, again, right from the top, I can live with that as well.

Let's Go Mets and I think someone once said 37 years ago "You Gotta Believe".

No comments:

Post a Comment