VEGAS UNWRAPPED with Aaron Phillips & Ricky Cash

SOCIAL MEDIA EXPLOSION

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Baseball For the 21st Century

The economic times we live in have made it nearly impossible for the everyday fan to go out to the game and enjoy his favorite team with putting out an arm and a leg. The cost of running and paying for a major league team has made the owners do the only thing they see to do to keep their teams in the black. They keep raising the ticket prices and the vicious circle continues. How about a solution. Lower the costs of travel, get more bodies in the seats, lower the ticket prices and keep making money. How to do that. The hell with tradition. At the present rate there might not be a game in 20 years. Try this on for size.



Believe it or not, this is not an attempt at humor on my part. It was inspired by an article about throwing Tampa Bay and Toronto out of the American League East—so kudos to that.

With all the talk in this country of the growing concerns about the economy and how it has affected the free agency market this winter, I propose the most radical change in Baseball since the inception of the designated hitter, and after I finish, the DH change will seem like child's play.

Consider this, if the economy continues to falter and most experts predict it will be at least a year for the rebound to occur it is not unreasonable to think that baseball attendance will have it's first decrease in recent history.

I imagine that by July 4 we will see attendance plummet for those teams that are already out of contention. Loss of attendance means loss of revenue and sh*t rolls downhill can certainly put this sport in mortal danger.

So how can you be proactive and fix the problem before it happens? Total realignment of both leagues and create instant geographic rivalries not dissimilar to those already in place during inter league play. Create these rivalries and people will attend despite being 20 games out of first place in August.

Would I ever get tired of seeing the Mets vs. the Yankees 15 to 18 times a year? I don't think so, duh.

OK- here goes.



The National League Northeast

Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Phillies, Orioles, Nationals

Would You Like To See Realignment?

* Yes
* No



The American League South

Braves, Marlins, Rays, Rangers, Astros



The National League Central

Blue Jays, Pirates, Indians, Reds, Brewers



The American League Central

Cubs, Cardinals, Tigers, Royals, White Sox, Twins



The National League Northwest

Rockies, Mariners, Athletics, Giants



The American League Southwest

Diamondbacks, Dodgers, Angels, Padres


15 teams in each league. I'll let all you mathematicians figure out a schedule that will give less travel each year. For instance, no interleague play or the need for the DH. In year one, the NL East travels one time to the west. In the next year, the NL West travels one time to the east.

People with way better computer skills than I can figure that out. What I offer are rivalries that are sure to bring folks to the park, pretty much no matter what.

The only rivalry that I can't seem to get back together, and yes I admit it is a very big one, is the Dodgers and the Giants. I am open to suggestions, but I want to keep the traveling limited to save $$$$.

Of course, I realize that something like this couldn't happen because of the purists and the traditions already in place, But maybe, just maybe, that is part of the problem that this country is already going through.

Regardless of your political affiliation, we all recognize the need for change and certainly hope that the current administration, a historic change in of itself, will lead the way out of the mess we find ourselves in.

Remember in Field of Dreams, James Earl Jones says to Kevin Kostner " Ray, it's always been about baseball". Well maybe that's so, I believe it is. I have loved this sport for as long as I can remember.

My son likes to kid me that Moses was my tutor, and baseball has always been a passion for me that is hard to describe. But frankly, it needs help. The pundits say NO, baseball is thriving, but I respectfully disagree.

I believe we are at the precipice of a downturn for all major sports because of the economic difficulties this country faces and most fans are not like me who will pay to attend a game in Phoenix to see the Mets play the Diamondbacks when I live it Vegas and the trip, game, hotel, food etc will most assuredly mean that something more important to others would have to be sacrificed.

I will do that. Most people won't.

Baseball must survive. It is American, born here, raised here, and then spread throughout the world. It is a living breathing thing of beauty and grace and unless drastic change takes place, I fear that, perhaps not in my lifetime but certainly in my children's lifetime they may see "The Day Baseball Died."

1 comment:

  1. Vegas Rich - Here is a plan I submitted to all the owners and Bud Selig very recently and I think the true fan knows we need realignment.

    check out the plan at:

    http://thefairball.com/mlb-realignment-plan/

    I think you need to add a 2 teams to make it 32 teams. Add 2 playoff spots so there is 12 of 32 who can make the playoffs and instead of restrict a players earnings realign teams based on payroll spent. example:

    Yanks, Red Soxs, Mets, Phils in one division and Teams like the Pirates, Nationals, Indians, Reds in another. This would ensure teams with lower payrolls can be represented in the playoffs. As you spend more you change divisions. This would keep the schedule fresh and teams like the Pirates and Royals would have a chance to play in October.

    ReplyDelete